My 5th grade teacher once told me, "Treat your body like a temple, don't throw garbage in it".
I have always treated mine as a temple, although I must confess that recently I have become more religious.

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Importance of being Organic


Just Wash & Toss - Hungry?


The term Organic is used very loosely these days since it looks like it is in vogue and has started appearing in regular business conversations that are not remotely related to growing food (Wiki Organic_Growth and you will know what I am referring to).

I am not easily gullible and with so much advertising and scientists correcting themselves at the start of every decade on their prior research that was widely adopted- Who knows what to believe. I don't blame you if you don't buy organic food. There is so much to absorb with several uprisings in the organic world, in the local food world, green movement and going vegan. What should you believe? 

Have you been to the supermarket and wondered whether to pick the Organic or the Conventional produce. Did you end up picking the Conventional produce because it was half the cost of the Organic produce or you didn't care about the difference. I like this easy to read article from Mayoclinic that demarcates conventional vs. organic foods and provides an unbiased perspective.


Whatever you choose, a safety practice is to wash and scrub your veggies and fruits thoroughly before you use them. Soak your raw vegetables & fruits in a big bowl and fill it with cold water, swirl it around a few times and use a vegetable scrubber when you can to scrub the dirt and any residues.
I try to buy organic when I can to support the environment-friendly practices in soil and water conservation. I also tend to choose antibiotic-free products to avoid unnecessary growth hormone residues in my food and cage-free dairy products to support the habitat.

What is your take on organic foods? Would love to hear from you...

No comments: